Samstag, 18. Juni 2016

Foscam R2: how to make it stop talking

The Foscam R2 is a great surveillance camera with many nice features I did not found in other competitors, among the PTZ feature, the audio feature, build in WiFi and Full HD Video with IR lighting.

But when I unpacked the camera, set up the network I found an extremely annoying feature which I could not stop: The device was talking! WTF! It was talking about its network status, about the Wifi status etc. Please shut up, I don't need your comments about your network status! This might be useful in a first setup to get a first idea if something is wrong, but when the system is running this is useless and annoying. As a security camera which is talking to call for attention - very good idea indeed.

I did not find any option to disable this talking on the software side and I was just about to repack the
device to send it back I thought I could give it a try to open it and to disable the speaker from the hardware side. This of course disables the two way audio possibility but I don't need this. Furthermore, I will lose all guarantee options if a break the stickers the screws where sealed with. Nevertheless, I unscrewed the 3 screws on the bottom and opened the device. Yay, there is a promising plug which I just unplugged and ... the speaker is disabled. Perfect, I can keep the camera and it finally stops talking. And if I feel lonely and need someone to talk with I can replug the connector and listen to
my IP camera.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen